Major PhD Fellowships
Major PhD Fellowships
Looking for a way to fund your PhD? Here are several full and partial scholarships you can apply for. They are organized regionally based on both citizenship requirements and country of study.
- UK Research Councils- The UK Research Councils is one of the largest sources of PhD funding in the UK. They are comprised of seven smaller research councils, each focused on a different field. UK citizens and residents can apply for full PhD studentships worth a minimum of £19,037 for tuition, fees, and living expenses. EU citizens are eligible for an award to cover their tuition costs.
- Commonwealth Scholarships- These scholarships are awarded to over 800 students from across the Commonwealth each year to finance their graduate studies in the UK.
- Rhodes Scholarship- The Rhodes Scholarship is one of the oldest and most prestigious scholarships in the world. It provides full funding for international students to pursue graduate studies at Oxford University.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship- The Gates Cambridge Trust offers approximately 100 fully-funded scholarships a year for graduate studies at the University of Cambridge. This highly-competitive scholarship accepts applicants from any country excluding the UK.
- The Gen Foundation- The Gen Foundation provides grants of £500-£5,000 to applicants from any country studying natural sciences, particularly food sciences/technology in any country.
- The Colt Foundation- This is a three-year fellowship for doctoral students in occupational and environmental health at a UK university. The fellowship has a yearly stipend of £14,000 plus tuition coverage.
- Club Financiero Español- A scholarship for Spanish doctoral students studying at the London School of Economics, University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, London Business School, or University College London.
- National Institute of Health-The NIH has various funding opportunities for American citizens or permanent residents studying in the US at the graduate level.
- Marshall Scholarships- This scholarship is awarded to up to 50 outstanding young Americans of annually who will be pursuing graduate studies in the UK. It is one of the most selective graduate scholarships.
- Fulbright Program- Run by the US Department of State, a Fulbright grant offsets the cost of tuition, travel, and living expenses for US citizens conducting independent research abroad.
- The Hertz Foundation- This fellowship is open to American citizens or permanent residents who will be starting PhDs in physical and biological sciences, math, and engineering in the United States. The award is renewable for up to five years and comprises of full tuition coverage and a $32,000 stipend.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada- Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships which are worth $20,000 a year for up to four years.
- Canadian Institute of Health Research- A CIHR Doctoral Research Award is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents doing PhDs in Canada or abroad. It provides $30,000 a year for up to three years.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada- Canadians studying in Canada or internationally and international students studying in Canada are eligible to apply for these competitive awards.
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship- A Vanier Scholarship recognizes top-tier PhD students (either Canadian or international) who demonstrate academic and leadership skills with $50,000 per year for three years. Applicants must be nominated by their university.
- The Canadian Bureau for International Education- CBIE manages nine international scholarships to help students from Africa, Brazil, Jordan, Libya, the Philippines, and La Francophonie study in Canada.
- The Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund- This fund provides 15 annual awards of £2,000 to £5,000 for Canadians doing graduate studies in the UK.
- The Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarship- One scholarship worth $8,500 is awarded each year to a graduate of a Canadian university doing graduates studies anywhere in the world.
- Conacyt- Conacyt awards scholarships to Mexican students doing graduate studies in Mexico or abroad.
- BEC.AR UK Scholarship- This program offers up to 15 scholarships a year to students studying in STEM fields to do short stays at a UK university.
- Fundação Estudar-This non-profit provides scholarship opportunities for Brazilians studying overseas.
- Doc.Mobility-These fellowships are for PhD students who are Swiss citizens, permanent residents or residents who want to gain experience at a research institution abroad. The grant includes a contribution towards living costs, travel expenses, and research and conference costs for six to 18 months.
- Eiffel Scholarship Program of Excellence- This program finances 50 international students a year who want to study sciences, economics and management, law, and political sciences in France. The grant provides a monthly stipend of €1,400 for a maximum of 10 months.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)- DAAD provides scholarships for international students coming to Germany for graduate studies. The stipend is €1,200.00 a month for three years.
- State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme (SU)- Danish citizens over 18 are entitled to government support for their higher education, including those studying abroad.
- The Finnish Cultural Foundation- Finnish citizens and those living and working in Finland can apply for support for research, artistic work, and projects in science, arts, and culture. The work must have a strong connection to Finnish culture.
- Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds PhD Fellowships- This German foundation offers two to three year PhD fellowships to junior scientists who want to pursue a PhD in biomedical research at a top lab. Applicants must be European citizens or non-Europeans pursuing a degree in Europe.
- Aker Scholarship- Norwegians pursuing a PhD at certain top universities are eligible for this scholarship.
- Hans Werthén Foundation- The foundation awards around 15 scholarships of 100,000-200,000 SEK each year to support a year of doctoral research in science, technology, leadership, economics or law. Successful candidates have previous research or private sector experience.
- Fondazione Luigi Einaudi onlus- The foundation offers many grants to Italian students studying economics, political sciences, and history.
Africa and the Middle East
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme- The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of PhD scholarships for students from developing countries pursuing graduate studies. The award is 50% grant and 50% loan and covers tuition and living expenses.
- Islamic Development Bank Scholarship Programme- The Islamic Development Bank provides scholarships for promising students from member countries pursuing doctoral studies in sustainability. The scholarship includes full tuition fees and a living allowance.
- The Dan David Prize- Each year the Dan David Prize selects three fields of study to fund research in. Doctoral students working in these fields can apply for one of 20 scholarships worth $15,000 USD. 10 scholarships are awarded to students at Tel Aviv University and 10 are awarded to students studying at any university.
- Gordon Memorial College Trust Fund- This trust provides financial support for students from South Sudan or Sudan who are pursuing graduate studies at a UK university. The grant covers the cost of tuition and some living expenses.
- EDAAD Scholarship- This scholarship supports UAE nationals pursuing studies at high-ranking international universities.
- King Abdullah Scholarship Program (KASP)- Saudi citizens studying abroad are eligible to apply for three years of doctoral funding that includes tuition coverage and a monthly living stipend. They must return to Saudi Arabia upon graduation.
- Lebanese International Finance Executives Scholarship Program- Doctoral Students from Lebanon or of Lebanese descent who are studying finance, business, or economics can apply for up to $12,000 USD of funding a year.
- China Scholarship Council- The council provides financial aid to Chinese student studying abroad and foreign students studying in China.
- Agency for Science Technology and Research (A*STAR)- This agency offers several different PhD scholarships for Singaporeans with up to five years of funding and a one-year paid research attachment at an A*STAR research institute. Students can study in Singapore or abroad.
- Charles Wallace Trusts- These trusts help nationals of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Burma pursue education and training in the arts, heritage, and the humanities in the UK. The grants are usually £500-£600 and are aimed at helping cover funding gaps.
- J. N. Tata Endowment- This is a one-time loan scholarship of Rs. 1,000,000-10,000,000 to Indian students at the start of their full-time PhD studies. Applicants must have completed their undergraduate degree at an Indian university.
- Lee Kuan Yew Scholarship- This scholarship is for Singaporeans who are pursuing graduate studies in Singapore or overseas.
- Narotam Sekhsaria Post-Graduation Scholarships- High-achieving Indian students can apply for this scholarship to study at prestigious Indian and international universities. The scholarship is worth up to Rs. 20,000,000.
- Tan Kah Kee Foundation- The foundation offer three graduate scholarships a year for Singaporean citizens and permanent residents pursuing PhD or Master’s degrees. The scholarship is a one-time award of $12,000.
- The Banking and Financial Services Law Association- This association offers a $50,000 scholarship each year to an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident undertaking graduate studies abroad. Applicants must have obtained an LLB or JD from an Australian or New Zealand university and be studying banking and financial services law and practice.
- General Sir John Monash Foundation- The Foundation awards outstanding Australians funding to pursue graduate studies overseas.
- The Roberta Sykes Scholarship- This scholarship provides partial funding for an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander who wishes to do their doctoral studies overseas. The scholarship is worth up to $30,000 per year.
You can find hundreds of PhD opportunities all over the world here.Continue reading