At the University of Jyväskylä, everyone can find their place in the human-centred environment of 2,500 experts and 14,500 students. Our goal is to create wisdom and wellbeing for us all. It is essential that each member of the community thrives and has opportunities to develop and grow. We cherish openness of thinking as well as the balance between research and education. Our naturally beautiful campus is located at the heart of the city of Jyväskylä. JYU is the third largest employer in Central Finland.
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is currently seeking to recruit
an Assistant Professor or an Associate Professor (tenure track), in Communication starting August 1st 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter in the position of an Assistant Professor for a fixed term of four years and in the position of Associate Professor for a fixed term of 5 years.
The position is allocated to the Department of Language and Communication Studies to the discipline of Communication. Communication is a popular, academic discipline, focusing on communication behaviour and dynamics of social interaction both in face-to-face and technology-mediated contexts. The key focus area in the discipline is interpersonal and group communication in working life. In teaching and research, interpersonal relationships in organizations, groups, teams and networks, technology-mediated and organisational communication, communication and well-being, persuasion and argumentation, communication competence as well as communication ethics are being examined.
A successful candidate is expected to have strong research merits and methodological competence in the research area of organizational communication and social interaction, as well as insight of developing research and teaching, especially from the perspective of changing work life and new technologies. Solid experience in research on organizational communication and organizing, technology-mediated communication, communication and well-being, or communication in teams and networks is regarded as a merit. Strong international research profile is emphasized and success in acquiring external research funding will also be considered an asset.
The position of Assistant Professor is filled for a fixed term of four years and the position of Associate Professor for a fixed term of five years. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for the next level in the tenure track. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract.
In the Assistant Professor position the annual salary range will be approximately 45.200 – 55.700 EUR (gross income, including holiday bonus), depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
In the Associate Professor position the annual salary range will be approximately 52.200 – 64.200 EUR (gross income, including holiday bonus), depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
A trial period of six months will be used when the position is first filled.
For more information, please contact Professor Anu Sivunen, e-mail: email@example.com, tel. +358 40 7354279 or Professor Mika Lähteenmäki, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 40 805 3206.
To find useful information about the University of Jyväskylä, the City of Jyväskylä and living in Finland, see the University's International Staff Guide.
The application must include the following documents in English (publications need not to be translated) and the name of the applicant must be mentioned in the file name:
1. A CV of the applicant, composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK);
2. A numbered list of all scientific and other publications with which the applicant wishes to demonstrate his or her eligibility and merits for the post, according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland;
3. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s scientific research, merits in scientific activities and supervision of research work, including an account of acquired complementary research funding and the responsibilities related to the research conducted through such funding and in international activities;
4. A brief (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s pedagogical training and teaching merits i.e. teaching portfolio;
5. A brief (2-3 pages) written account of the applicant’s societal interaction and international cooperation;
6. A brief (2-3 pages) account of how the applicant intends to develop research, teaching and societal interaction in the field of in Communication;
7. A maximum of ten publications, numbered in accordance with the list of publications
In your application you shall inform which position, an Assistant Professor or an Associate Professor, you are applying for.
Please submit your application at the latest on Wednesday, November 4th 2020 using the online application form.Continue reading
|Title||an Assistant Professor or an Associate Professor (tenure track) in Communication|
|Employer||University of Jyväskylä|
|Job location||Seminaarinkatu 15, Jyväskylä|
|Published||September 10, 2020|
|Application deadline||November 4, 2020|
|Job types||Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Media and Communication Studies,   Communication Design  |