Recent growth in the research activities and the established educational programs of the School of Information Technology (ITE) is enabling a significant expansion. In 2018 the total research expenditures exceeded 70 MSEK and the school hosted over 850 students. Over the next two years the School will grow significantly with a particular focus on diversity and equality, excellence in research and education, collaboration with both public and private sectors, and establishing a strong national and international profile for innovating better healthcare and transportation technologies. As part of this plan, three new Assistant Professor positions are now open.
The appointments are intended to contribute to the research activities of the School of Information Technology (ITE) at Halmstad University. Appointment as Assistant Professor is a qualifying appointment with the purpose to give the employee a possibility to promote to Associate Professor. Appointment as Assistant Professor is for four years.
Research - Each appointee will contribute to the development of the area of Dependable Systems at Halmstad University in either the Cyber-Physical or Machine Learning Systems areas. The ideal candidate will add to our expertise in one or more core areas such as programming languages, formal methods, testing, safety or reliability engineering, software engineering, mathematics, numerical methods, or mathematical modeling and simulation. We are looking for candidates that bring in new perspectives that connect with and potentially unify existing expertise. In house competences today include embedded systems, physics, analog electronics, hardware, software, communications, machine learning, and service design. The ideal candidate will build a research program that is well aligned with the university profile areas of Smart Mobility and Healthcare Innovation, and focusing on areas of interest to national industrial partners.
Educational - Each appointee will participate in the development of existing and new programs relating to Dependable Systems teaching and mentoring of students at the undergraduate, Masters, and Doctoral levels. Courses available for teaching are in computer science, computer engineering, computer forensics, mathematics, and physics. For introductory courses the ability to teach in Swedish is required. Therefore, the ability to teach in Swedish and the willingness to learn Swedish will be viewed positively.
Additional Duties - Assistant Professors are required to qualify for the position of Associate Professor within four years.
The positions requires a PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Control, Mathematics, or related area. The positions also requires prior, documented teaching experience such as having responsibility for one or more regular university courses and receiving acceptable student evaluations. It also requires an ability to reflect on one’s own performance and to drive one’s own competence development. Completion of courses in pedagogy for higher and doctoral education are also highly desirable. An ideal candidate will have a track record and a broad in interest in area of Dependable Systems for either Cyber-Physical or Machine Learning Systems. She or he will add to our expertise in one or more core areas such as programming languages, formal methods, testing, safety or reliability engineering, software engineering, mathematics, numerical methods, or mathematical modeling and simulation.
In addition to the qualifications stated above, assessment will include three components, namely, research, education, and collaboration, and will follow Halmstad University’s guidelines for appointment and promotion. Furthermore, qualified candidates are expected to demonstrate sustained excellence over the last five years in one or more following aspects of academic activity:
1) Conducting and publishing research;
2) Developing and leading externally funded research projects;
3) Teaching introductory courses as well as a broad range of courses at all levels;
4) Mentoring and supervision of doctoral, Masters, and undergraduate students;
5) Teaching in collaboration with industry (for example, through developing student projects jointly with industry on a continual basis);
6) Research in collaboration with industry (for example, through the joint development of new projects or technologies).
To support first year and undergraduate thesis students, one or more of the positions may give additional consideration aspects that relate to their specific needs, including excellence in teaching, experience with pedagogical program development, experience with teaching in collaboration with industry, working with students projects proposed by practitioners in industry, or proficiency in teaching Swedish.
In addition to the general duties and qualifications outlined above:
Salary is to be determined by negotiation. The application should include a statement of the salary level required by the candidate.
Applications should be sent via Halmstad University's recruitment system Varbi(see link on this page). The application package shall consist of:
1) A cover letter stating the purpose of the application; the position sought – Assistant Professor; core area(s) of expertise - such as the ones listed above; how your abilities and accomplishments match each of the six aspects identified above; a brief statement of why you believe that your personal goals are well-matched with the goals of this position and the School of ITE; and a brief summary of your future research and teaching plans. The cover letter should explain alignment with the profile areas of Health Innovation and Smart Mobility, and may suggest areas of collaboration with existing faculty, both in terms of research and education. Finally, the cover letter should state the desired salary level.
2) A CV that includes at least:
- a list of previous degrees, dates, and institution, and transcripts for higher education studies until most recent available;
- a complete list of publications (title, author list, publication venue, date) and a description of previous research and other work experience and links to online copies of the most important publications;
- a list of courses taught (course name, course number, level - for example undergraduate or graduate, date taught, responsibility in relation to course, approximate class size, credit hours or total contact hours, and other coteachers or assistants if present);
3) Sample publications (maximum of 8);
4) Sample teaching evaluations (maximum of 4);
5) Statement of research interests and plan (maximum two pages);
6) Statement of education interests and plan (maximum two pages);
7) Copies of all degrees and certificates referenced in the CV;
8) Contact information for at least three references.
We value the qualities that gender balance and diversity bring to our organization. We therefore welcome applicants with different backgrounds, gender, functionality and, not least, life experience.
The working language at Halmstad University is English and knowledge of the Swedish language not required to start working. Also for daily life, English is spoken widely and Sweden has the highest English Proficiency index in the world. Learning to speak Swedish will make it easier to interact with public and private services, to follow local and national issues, to participate in teaching junior students, and to participate in administrative and leadership roles. National Swedish language courses (SFI) are available on campus.
Read more about Halmstad University at http://hh.se/english/discover/discoverhalmstaduniversity.9285. html
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type Full time
First day of employment 2019-10-01 or as soon as possible after that
Salary Monthly salary
Number of positions 1
Working hours 100%
County Hallands län
Reference number 2019/79
Last application date 31.Aug.2019 11:59 PM CET
|Title||Assistant Professor of Dependable System Engineering (Three Positions)|
|Job location||Kristian IV:s väg 3, 301 18 Halmstad|
|Published||August 12, 2019|
|Application deadline||August 31, 2019|
|Job types||Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Control Systems Engineering,   Computer Engineering,   Electrical Engineering,   Systems Engineering  |