We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Low-Emission Transport is seeking to hire new Ingenious Partners for our location in Vienna:
Scientist (m/f/d) for numerical modeling, simulation, and design for Hybrid Electric Aircraft (electrical energy storage systems)
- Center for Low-Emission Transport -
- The delivery of the Hybrid Electric Aircraft poses serious technological challenges towards achieving carbon neutrality in air transport as per European New Green Deal.
- We explore new technologies for high energy density batteries and power conversion systems for next generation airliners.
- As a member of a growing, international and highly motivated research team, you will perform research and be involved in the execution of ambitious and large-scale European research projects.
- As part of our highly motivated research team, you will investigate, simulate, and design hybrid electric system architectures and components for next generation climate neutral aircraft.
- You will interface with experienced scientists and engineers in the field of aerospace all across Europe.
- You work in direct contact with European Institutions and international partners from research and industry on multi-annual large-scale projects, such as ORCHESTRA, SOLIFLY and other projects that will be launched in Q4-2022.
- You will build your own network and contribute to the definition of our strategic research direction, preparing proposals for new projects with support from your colleagues – Together, we bring ideas to life.
- You will publish your results in high-ranking journals and will support other scientists in doing so.
- You supervise international interns, master and PhD students.
- Your efforts will contribute to the success of our current research projects portfolio, enabling next generation Li-ion batteries to be successfully implemented in future hybrid electric aircraft architectures.
- You will report your results to research and industry stakeholders and disseminate the achievements in international conferences and scientific peer-reviewed journals.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner:
- Master or (preferably) Ph.D. level qualification in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical Engineering, or Physics (or related disciplines) with a focus on numerical modeling, design, testing, or data science.
- Proven experience (6+ years after the M.Sc. or 3+ years after the Ph.D.) in at least two of the three following thematic areas: (i) aircraft design, (ii) development of Li-ion batteries (cell, and/or module and/or pack level), (iii) power systems simulation. Relevant sub-areas are (for example): airframe design, battery cell-to-system integration, battery monitoring and control (including sensors’ data processing), electrical energy storage or power systems modelling and testing. The candidate is expected to describe in his/her Cover Letter how his/her profile matches at least two of the three areas above.
- Programming skills in Python, MATLAB (including Simulink), C/C++ or similar languages. Expertise with state-of-the-art industrial design and computational tools (e.g. ANSYS/Modelica/Dymola) are also well regarded.
- Experience with laboratory testing on batteries and/or electric power systems is a plus.
- Experience in working in industrial projects in aerospace (e.g. commissioned by Airbus or Leonardo) and/or European projects (e.g. H2020, CleanSky) is an asset.
- High level of motivation to develop a scientific/research career. Self-motivation and personal drive are an asset.
What to expect:
The minimum gross annual salary according to the collective agreement is EUR 55.020,--. The actual salary will be determined individually, based on your qualifications and experience. In addition, we offer company benefits, flexible working conditions, individual training and career opportunities.
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to hearing from female applicants!
Please ensure that you submit the following mandatory documents: your CV and letter of motivation. You may upload other relevant certificates (for e.g. transcript of records, letters of reccommendations).
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application online (https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/176649) and ensure that you upload the following mandatory documents: CV and letter of motivation. You may also upload other relevant certificates (for e.g., transcript of records, letters of recommendation).