GEVES is the French Group for the Study and Control of Varieties and Seeds. It is a Public Interest Group associated with INRA, the French Ministry of Agriculture and GNIS.
The main official missions of GEVES are :
- to conduct DUS and VCUS studies for the Registration of new varieties in the Official Catalogue
- to conduct DUS studies for the Legal protection of varieties (PBR)
- to evaluate the quality and the varietal identity of seed lots and for the Certification of seeds, for species requiring statutory certification.
The different activities of GEVES include :
- Describing varieties and evaluating genetic progress
- Assessing seed quality
- Methodological research
- Management of genetic ressources
- Engagement at European and International level
- Monitoring of a the national network of laboratories for seed analyses
- Organisation of inter-laboratory tests
GEVES has expertise in all species.