Start date: 01/02/2022
Vacancy reference: GxABT20210915-1
Description of the course load
A full-time, indivisible position in the field of management and modelling of the quality of food products, within Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech. This post includes teaching, research and services to the Community.
The proposed post will aim to teach and develop innovative integrated approaches to meet societal demands for food product quality and the expectations of companies for their implementation.
The teaching load will include, in the first year, a set of courses corresponding to about ten credits.
This course load principally includes classes in the bioengineering Masters courses (chemistry and bio-industries and agronomic sciences) in the fields of hygiene, health safety, quality management and food-processing systems.
Most of the courses will be taught collegially with other faculty members.
The course load will gradually increase over the coming years, reaching a minimum of around 15 credits by 2023 at the latest.
The teaching load will also include supervision activities within the Master's programme (group projects, supervision of final dissertation, internships) and original initiatives taken by the applicant.
The person recruited will carry out research in the field of quality applied to food products and possibly other bio-based products. They will contribute to the development of systems to control the quality of a food product, in its multiple components. Predictive models of the evolution of product characteristics during preparation and/or storage should also be considered. This person will contribute to the development of innovative integrated approaches to meet the demands of the food industry and society in general, taking into account the transformation of raw materials and the quality of finished products.
The candidate will have recognised expertise in bioengineering as well as food science and technology. They will also have to be able to integrate the digital transition into self-monitoring and control of the production line. The post holder will continue to explore new technological solutions that can be
transposed to the food sector and will also be open to the wider transposition of these approaches to areas developing other bio-based products.
They will propose a personal research project enabling their expertise to be applied within GxABT, closely aligned with the partners from the research and teaching support unit (CARE), in particular the FoodIsLife CARE.
Services to the Community
The candidate will be involved in services to the community provided by the Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech Faculty and the University of Liège, and beyond that in services to society, in partnership with management.
· Must hold a first degree in agronomic engineering (or chemistry and bioindustries, or be a bioengineer), a Master’s in veterinary medicine or chemical sciences, or an equivalent university Master’s degree, and should also hold a research Doctorate with experience in the relevant area;
· Must demonstrate recognised scientific experience, both in the field and through publications at international level in the relevant;
· Must be open-minded to the international world (having completed a scientific stay abroad of at least six months is an advantage);
· Must be a good teacher (teaching experience is an advantage);
· Must demonstrate the ability to work on interdisciplinary themes;
· Must be able to work in a team and with shared human and material resources within the GxABT structures, and be able to manage technical staff;
· Must be available for a variety of different roles relating to services to the community and public education;
· Speak English;
· Must be available for missions abroad;
· Must subscribe to the general quality objectives developed by the University and the faculty;
· Upon appointment, the post holder must sign an agreement on the ownership of any research results.
Each candidate’s application will be examined by a faculty committee in charge of selecting the candidates to be interviewed, giving reasons for its decisions with regard to this vacancy announcement and the qualifications and merits of the candidates. The Faculty Committee shall interview the candidates, in particular concerning their curriculum vitae, their teaching, research and integration plans for the Institution and their command of English. The interview will include a “public lecture”, the form of which will be set by the Faculty Committee. This interview will be held in December 2021.
Applicants are requested to submit their applications electronically, to the following address: Postesacademiques@uliege.be copying in the Dean of GxABT - email@example.com no later than 30 November 2021.
· Applications should be accompanied by a complete curriculum vitae;
· A cover letter setting out the applicant’s personal aspirations in relation to the position;
· A report on past and current research activities and a research plan, including the envisaged integration within the University of Liège;
· A teaching dossier including a report on any prior teaching activities and a teaching plan;
· A complete list of the candidate’s publications and a copy of the five publications they consider to be most significant in relation to the area in question.
The position shall be assigned either from the outset on a permanent basis or for a fixed term of four years, which may lead to the permanent appointment of the person concerned.
In the case of a four-year appointment, an evaluation of the person concerned will be carried out at the end of the third year.
· If the evaluation is negative, the person concerned will complete the four-year term but will not be able to extend it;
· If the assessment is positive, the person concerned shall be appointed on a permanent basis.
For any further information, please contact Professor Frédéric Francis, Dean of the Faculty. firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary scales and how they are applied are available from the human resources department of the University: Ms. Ludivine Depas – tel.: +32 4 366 52 04 – Ludivine.Depas@uliege.be
|Title||Full-time academic vacancy in the field of “Management and modelling of the quality of food products”|
|Employer||University of Liège (ULiège)|
|Job location||Place du Vingt Aout 7, 4000 Liege|
|Published||September 24, 2021|
|Application deadline||November 30, 2021|
|Job types||Professor  |
|Fields||Agronomy,   Food Science,   Agricultural Engineering,   Bioengineering,   Quality Assurance Engineering,   Management,   Food Economics  |