Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
As part of its dynamic research policy, and supported by the University Research Fund (Dutch: Bijzonder Onderzoeksfonds, BOF), the Department of History at the University of Antwerp has the following full-time vacancy: junior research professor (tenure track ZAPBOF) in the field of political history of the early modern period.
As a member of the Tenured Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: research, services and education. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects. As a tenure track ZAPBOF, your role will consist primarily of academic research during the first five years with some limited involvement in education (20%). After five years and after a positive evaluation, you become member of the regular ZAP Staff (40% research, 40% education, 20% services).
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the field of political history of the early modern period. Your research is in line with the research interests of the research centre PoHis (Power in History, https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/research-groups/power-in-history).
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
- You will provide high-quality education in the field of political history of the early modern period.
- During the first five years your teaching assignment consists of ‘Early modern history: politics and institutions (Europe)’ (Ba3, 6 ects) and ‘Political history: topics and debates’ (Master, co-teaching, 3 ects.). From 1 October 2028 onwards, your educational assignment will be expanded with an elective course in the field of your expertise and with participation in the methodological cluster (Historical Exercises Ba 1 or Ba 2 or Bachelor Thesis).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the core tasks of research, services and/or education and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in the field of Political history of the early modern period. Your research is in line with the research interests of the research centre PoHis.
- Preferably you can demonstrate a minimum of two years of postdoctoral experience (when you start work, at the latest).
- You have an international academic portfolio and you conduct high-quality academic research.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years after your appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time ZAPBOF appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for a period of five years. Following a favourable evaluation, this period is followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as an associate professor.
- In the event of a positive evaluation after the first five-year period, this tenure track ZAPBOF period is then followed by a standard position as a member of the Tenured Senior Academic Staff with a mixture of teaching, research and service responsibilities.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- We offer an attractive starter package consisting of a four-year PhD project and €15 000 of consumables
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2023.
- You will do most of your work at City Campus of the University of Antwerp in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 27 March 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents:
- your motivation letter,
- the completed job application appendix for ZAP,
- your academic CV,
- a report on your previous scientific research activities (maximum 1000 words),
- a short research plan for the next five years (maximum 1000 words).
All documents must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. In this step of the procedure, a detailed research plan for the next five years (approx. 5000 words), will be asked. Please make a note of the following date: 17 May 2023 (interview/public sample lesson).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Guido Marnef (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have any questions about the typical appointment framework for this research role, please contact the TTZAPBOF officers in the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation, Ms. Marianne De Voecht (0032 3 265 30 29) or Ms. Birgit Houben (0032 3 265 31 39)
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply