Vacancy Reference : 30182 / AGRO 017 / 2022 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured full-time position in Environmental and Food Microbiology - One Health
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations. Within the Science and technology sector the position is attached to the Faculty of Biosciences Engineering and to the Earth and Life Institute that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique living environment conveniently located at the heart of Europe.
The perception of the essential role of microorganisms in the biosphere is now very clear. Whether it is the origin of life, the interaction and the support for all forms of life on Earth, microorganisms are everywhere. But our attention often turns to the threat they pose to human, animal and plant health. Microbiology, as a key discipline for life sciences, is evolving very rapidly due to the technological progresses made recently, in particular in terms of high-throughput sequencing techniques, with as corollary, the explosion in the number of genomes sequenced and a mass of data to be processed. The recent Covid pandemic has highlighted the crucial issues related to the emergence of pathogens, and the link between our environment and diseases that affect humans, animals and plants. The development of an integrated vision on this axis, commonly called "One Health", establishes a common thread that fits into the themes of the Earth & Life Institute, the Faculty of Biosciences Engineering, the Louvain Institute of Biomolecular Science and Technology and UCLouvain, with connections also with the Science and Technology as well as Health Science Sectors.
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments in the field of Environmental and/or Food Microbiology. Teaching assignments will include Bachelor, Master and Graduate levels in the bioengineer curricula organized by the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering. The courses are taught either in French or English.
The successful candidate will develop and drive a cutting-edge research program on human bacterial and pathogens arising from animals, plants and the environments (One Health – including questions related to their ecology and routes of transmission). The research might also encompass, but no exclusively, antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance and emerging threats, food biosafety, horizontal gene transfer, microbiome-derived antimicrobial compounds discovery and pathogen source-tracking, with a focus on soil and/or food microbiology. Research activity is expected to be conducted also internationally. The successful candidate is expected to interact with a team of professors of the Earth & Life Institute, taking advantage of the connection between ongoing agricultural and environmental sciences on the one hand, and on the other hand, with medical sciences at UCLouvain.
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required Qualifications : the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in Bioscience Engineering orientation Microbiology or any comparable discipline;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, the applicant will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The candidates are expected to have a background in environmental and/or food microbiology.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.
Application deadline: Monday, November 15, 2021 at noon
Please read the important information before applying
Starting date: 1st September 2022
Further information :
Prof. Christine Dupont, Dean AGRO – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Marnik Vanclooster, President ELI – email@example.com
Localization: Science and Technology Sector
Faculty of bioscience engineering (AGRO) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/AGRO)
Earth and Life Institute (ELI) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/ELI)
|Title||An academic position in Environmental and Food Microbiology - One Health (1 FTE)|
|Employer||Université catholique de Louvain|
|Job location||Place de l'Université 1, 1348 Louvain-La-Neuve|
|Published||October 4, 2021|
|Application deadline||November 15, 2021|
|Job types||Professor,   Lecturer / Senior Lecturer,   Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Environmental Science,   Food Science,   Microbiology,   Plant Protection and Animal Health,   Soil Science,   Bioengineering  |