Permanent employee, Full-time · VILLACH
YOUR FUTURE RESPONSIBILITIES
Silicon Austria Labs (SAL) is seeking an expert in integrated photonics and photonics MEMS technologies to lead the newly created Integrated Photonics Technologies Research Unit which has been created within the Microsystems division of SAL in Villach. We seek an expert in integrated photonics, MOEMS, quantum photonics and experienced in working on projects at TRL 5 and above.
YOUR LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
- Management and further development of the research unit Integrated Photonics Technologies in the division Microsystems (10-15 researchers and scientists).
- Staff responsibility for the research group including scientific support and supervision of international researchers.
- Corporate and profit responsibility.
- Project initiation and management with academia and industry.
- International partner acquisition and network support.
- Shaping the research program of this new unit and creating project portfolios together with division head.
- Growing the research unit towards research excellence and economic impact.
- Create a motivated, collaborative, and relaxed atmosphere for scientists to thrive in.
YOUR SCIENTIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the Research Unit to a world-class level in the field of micro/nanophotonic device research and development.
- Actively steer the research unit’s future plans, defining research topics, unit organization, investments in resources, infrastructures, and laboratories.
- Definition, setup, and management of cooperative and funded research projects.
- Close cooperation and support of scientific and industrial project partners in cooperative research projects.
- Manage the unit members by planning and overseeing all activities carried out.
- Interact closely with the project partners and provide technical guidance to project managers on key projects.
- Initiate and steer research projects with industrial partners as well as proposals for national and international grant fundings.
- Publish and present the unit research results and other KPI´s in scientific journals, international conferences, international summits, scientific boards and relevant events.
- A PhD degree in engineering or physics.
- In depth knowledge in advanced photonic sensors, e.g. integrated photonics, MEMS and MOEMS, optoelectronics, micro/nanophotonic devices.
- In depth knowledge in photonic integrated circuits / MOEMS / quantum photonics:
- Integrated photonics technologies (SOI, SiNOI, III-V photonics, from components to systems and process flow).
- Integrated quantum photonics (integrated QKD, quantum computing).
- Proficient with manufacturing process and multi-project wafer service of integrated photonics.
- Strong understanding of CMOS manufacturing process steps and constraints on the design of passive and active integrated photonic devices.
- Proficient with complex integrated photonics lab, required techniques and equipment for automated testing system and high-speed photonics.
- MEMS-integrated metasurfaces for 3D sensing and imaging.
- In depth knowledge of the worldwide market and the European industrial ecosystem for integrated photonics.
- Outstanding research achievements at an international level in the relevant areas with an emphasis on quality and a distinctive contribution to the field of study.
- Proven record of at least 5 years team leading experience in industry and research.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in managing international projects.
- Proven record in writing and leading successful research project proposals.
- Broad and strong industrial and academic network proven by joint collaborations, projects, and publications.
- Experience with Evatec Clusterline family would be useful.
- Proactive and creative independent thinking, enjoy working in international teams.
- Ability to lead and supervise a team in a sensitive and inspiring manner.
- Fluent in English (written & oral), German is a plus.
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT SAL
- Diversified research activities with plenty of technical challenges.
- State-of-the-art lab facilities and instruments.
- Internal and external training opportunities for further development.
- Home Office possible.
- € 4 per day food allowance in restaurants or € 2 per day in supermarkets.
- Family & kids friendly.
- Free coffee/milk/tea & fresh fruits.
- Start: as soon as possible.
This position is subject to the Collective Agreement for employees in non-university research (Research CA) in occupational group G (G1 salary = EUR 4.582, paid 14 times a year). Your actual salary depends on your experience and qualifications. We offer a salary in the range between EUR 85.000 to EUR 95.000 (annual, based on an All-in contract and bonus).