1. Job Title and Number of Positions Available
Professor, associate professor, and instructor; about 18 positions
2. Subject Areas for Public Invitation and Class Subjects to Teach
See Appendix “List of Class Subjects to Teach, Etc. (Planned).”
3. Other Duties to Assume
○ Internal affairs duties (including duties related to teaching affairs, entrance exam affairs, student recruitment and job assistance)
○ Duties for regional and industry-university cooperation programs (including various courses provided through cooperation with external entities and public lectures)
4. Eligibility for Application
An applicant must satisfy all the qualifications and requirements stated below:
(1) Professor: A person who has a doctor's degree or research achievement equivalent thereto;
Associate professor: A person who has a master’s degree or research achievement equivalent thereto; or
Instructor: A person who has a master’s degree or research achievement equivalent thereto;
(2) A person who is able to promote educational and research activities based on the educational philosophy of the University;
(3) A person who has the ability to conduct classes in English, and preferably in Japanese as well;
(4) An applicant who has the skills to conduct classes interactively through use of active learning techniques (e.g. Project Based Learning and groupwork method);
(5) A person who is capable of implementing educational programs in cooperation with various entities, including companies, international organizations, overseas universities, NPOs and municipalities in and outside Japan;
(6) A person who is capable of developing classes in cooperation with teachers in other subject areas and practical teachers from outside the University;
(7) A person who is able to actively address self-development, improvement of lessons, lessons open to the public, overall improvement of curriculum and so on based on the basic policy for FD (Faculty Development); and
(8) A person who does not fall under any of the conditions for disqualification prescribed in Article 9 of the School Education Act.
5. Deadline for Application
Applications must arrive by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2019.
6. Scheduled Date of Employment
April 1, 2021 or April 1, 2022 (depending on the start date of your assigned class)
7. System and Period of Employment
○ Successful applicants will, in principle, be hired on the tenure track system (Fixed-term system is possible upon request).
<Tenure track system>
If a teacher passes the examination conducted in his/her third year, he/she will shift to the retirement age system in his/her fourth year. If a teacher does not pass the examination in his/her third year, he/she may take the re-examination in his/her fourth year. If the teacher passes the re-examination, he/she will shift to the retirement age system in that year.
A person who is determined to be qualified as a professor through the teacher qualification examination conducted following the application for the approval of the establishment of the University of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, & Technology will be hired under the retirement age system from the start.
<Fixed term system>
Under the fixed term system, a person is hired for a fixed term of employment (for three years, in principle; and for four years in the case of teachers who are hired at the opening of the University), and his/her employment will be terminated upon the expiration of the term of employment. The term of employment of a teacher may be renewed if he/she so wishes and his/her educational and research achievement is recognized to be outstanding. The total years of the term is up to a maximum of ten (10) years.
○ The retirement age is sixty-five (65) years of age. A teacher must retire on the first March 31 following the date on which he/she reaches the retirement age.
The retirement age for a full-time teacher who is determined at the opening of the University to be qualified as a professor through the teacher qualification examination conducted following the application for the approval of the establishment of the University of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, & Technology may be set to the age of such teacher as of the end of the year of completion (which refers to the academic year after the opening of the University in which implementation of curriculum according to the grade-based arrangements ends).
8. Documents to Be Submitted
(1) Application sheet (Form No. 1): one copy
(2) Resume (Form No. 2): one copy
(4) Books or major papers (separate prints or copies are acceptable): up to five books/papers
* Circle the corresponding numbers in the educational and research achievement document of (3).
(5) Document stating your goals towards education and research at the University (in any format on not more than one A4 sheet): one copy
(6) Written plan for Project Based Learning (in any format on approximately one A4 sheet): one copy
* Write in order of acquisition, specifying the name of the representative and allocation of the funds. (Not required if you have never received research funds)
(8) Either of the following:
(i) Names and contact information of two people from whom we can seek opinions on you, the applicant (shall be mentioned in the application sheet)
(ii) Recommendation letter (specifying the affiliation/title of the recommender; in any format): two copies
* These people or recommender are not necessarily to be relevant to an applicant’s academic expertise.
[Image of written plan for Project Based Learning]
○ Target: Sophomore or junior students
○ Period: One quarter (two or three months) or 14 classes over seven weeks
○Cooperating company’s category of business: e.g. component manufacturers, food manufacturers, service businesses, NPOs, etc.
○ Content: Plan of Project Based Learning through cooperation with companies that are compatible with the major or subject in the area of public invitation
● Prepare documents (2) and (3) above according to the Appendix “Notes on Preparation of Application Documents”.
● Additional documents may be required as necessary.
● Specified forms can be downloaded from the website of Prefectural University of Hiroshima (http://www.pu-hiroshima.ac.jp/).
9. Screening Method
(1) Document examination and an interview will be conducted in accordance with the teacher selection criteria of the University.
(2) Each applicant subject to an interview will be separately notified the date of his/her interview.
(3) In conjunction with the interview, each applicant will be requested to deliver a simulated lecture (along with the syllabus) of the class subject to be taught by the applicant and a presentation of his/her goals towards education and research at the University, and to answer questions at the end. A second-round interview will be held as necessary. For applicants living abroad, an online interview and other accommodations are available upon request.
(4) The cost incurred for the interview (including the second-round interview) will not be refunded.
10. Mailing Address for Applications/Contact
Prefectural University of Hiroshima New Educational Organization Establishment Preparation Office
11F, Hiroshima Midtown Building, 1-1-17 Kamiya-cho, Naka-ku, Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 730-0031, Japan
* Please write “Application Documents for Faculty Member at New University Enclosed” in red on the envelope, and send the documents via recorded delivery or international courier service. For inquiries, please contact us by email.
11. Place of Work
Newly established University (planned to be located in the central area of Hiroshima City)
12. Points to Be Kept in Mind
(1) If you are selected as a candidate for a full-time teacher, you will be requested to cooperate in preparing documents for application for approval of yourself, which will be required as part of the application for establishment of the University scheduled for October 2019.
(2) The University will file an application for approval of establishment to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, & Technology and then be subject to examination by the Council for University Chartering and School Juridical Persons. Please note that you will not be hired if the University is unable to file an application or if the establishment of the University is not approved due to the unsuccessful results of the examination by the Council. Also, you will not be hired if you are assessed in the examination by the Council to be inadequate for the teacher qualification, the job title or the class subject to be taught by you.
(3) Application documents will not, in principle, be returned.
(4) Your personal information disclosed in your application documents will not be used for any purpose other than for the screening process.
(5) If you are selected as a candidate, you will be requested to submit a document certifying your academic degree or, if you have any other type of academic record, a document certifying your graduation from (or completion of course at) the final academic institution.Continue reading