We invite interested candidates passionate about research and motivated to pursue an exciting and successful career in business academia to apply for the PhD in Management Programme offered by INSEAD, one of the world's leading and largest business schools.
The INSEAD PhD in Management seeks 16-18 candidates in the following fields: Accounting, Decision Sciences, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, Strategy, and Technology and Operations Management, and it is highly interdisciplinary across areas. Moreover, applicants come from various academic fields, with or without a management background, and research experience is beneficial, though not required before applying.
Fully integrated across INSEAD's two campuses, France and Singapore, PhD students interact with faculty experts and like-minded peers, benefit from alliances with Wharton and Sorbonne and conduct world-class research in the school's state-of-the-art behavioural lab in Paris.
The INSEAD PhD's intimate size ensures critical faculty mentorship and research support. It seeks to admit research partners for its faculty, not research assistants. Through rigorous research training, students and alumni produce outstanding research during and after the PhD programme. To view the recent accolades our alumni have received, please go to inse.ad/phd-research-awards
All PhD students receive five (5) years of fellowship regardless of background, nationality and need; therefore, they need not worry about associated costs in pursuing doctoral studies. We renew this annual benefit contingent upon satisfactory progress in the programme.
As many leading universities try to internationalise both curriculum and faculty, having the INSEAD PhD gives students a tremendous edge to pursue global academic careers with its international programme format. Moreover, with the programme's formidable placement history, PhD graduates secure coveted management professor placements in leading business schools worldwide.
WHY THE INSEAD PHD?
1. Globally recognised: INSEAD is renowned worldwide as a top-tier business school, and the global academic community highly regards its PhD in Management Programme. By pursuing your doctoral degree at INSEAD, you become part of an elite network of scholars and researchers. This global recognition opens doors to securing top academic positions, collaborations and research opportunities across the globe.
2. Dual-campus structure: INSEAD's unique dual-campus structure allows students to pursue their PhD studies on two campuses - Europe (Fontainebleau, France) and Asia (Singapore). They can experience the other campus and its diverse research environment through the mandatory campus exchange. This exposure to both Europe and Asia enhances their global research perspective. Additionally, an optional PhD Exchange at Wharton allows them to study in North America, creating a 'third location' experience. The mobility offered by the dual-campus structure also enables students to conduct research on the other campus for 1-2 weeks to meet with their faculty advisors or dissertation contributors.
3. Outstanding faculty and cutting-edge research environment: INSEAD's faculty members are distinguished experts in their fields, consistently pushing the boundaries of knowledge and research. As a PhD student, you will work closely with these accomplished scholars, benefitting from their expertise and mentorship. In addition, INSEAD's research environment fosters innovation, intellectual rigour, and interdisciplinary collaboration, allowing you to tackle complex management challenges and make significant contributions to your chosen research area.
4. Culturally diverse and supportive community: INSEAD attracts students from various countries, cultures, and academic backgrounds. This multicultural community enriches your PhD learning experience, exposing you to varying perspectives and fostering cross-cultural understanding. In addition, collaborating with fellow students and other degree programmes at INSEAD from diverse backgrounds enhances creativity, promotes a global outlook, and broadens your network of future academic and professional connections.
5. Access to extensive resources and collaborations: INSEAD provides exceptional resources to support your research. You will have access to various cutting-edge databases, libraries, and research facilities, empowering you to conduct in-depth and impactful studies. Additionally, INSEAD's strong network of collaborations with prestigious institutions and business schools worldwide, such as The Wharton School and Sorbonne Universite, offers further research opportunities and the chance to engage with renowned scholars from different domains.
5. Formidable placement history: A PhD from INSEAD opens doors to top placements in leading business schools worldwide. In addition, the rigorous training, research experience, scholarly reputation and highly diverse community associated with INSEAD and its PhD Programme equip you with the skills, knowledge and expertise to excel, first and foremost, in academia, consulting and industry research.
Therefore, by pursuing the INSEAD PhD, you join a globally recognised institution that fosters a vibrant research ecosystem, supports intellectual growth, and empowers you to become a leading scholar in the field of management. The academic excellence, diverse community, and extensive resources at INSEAD and its strategic alliances will shape your intellectual journey, expand your horizons, and lay a strong foundation for a successful academic career and beyond.
WHO ARE WELCOME TO APPLY?
The INSEAD PhD welcomes applications from various backgrounds, including engineering, technology, economics, psychology, sociology, sciences, etc. Senior undergraduates, master's students (research or coursework track), pre-doc associates and fellows, and alumni with industry experience are encouraged to apply. Moreover, neither a formal business education nor professional experience is compulsory, and having prior research experience is helpful but not required before applying.
Regardless of background, all applicants must be motivated to pursue a career in business academia as a researcher and management professor.
WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA TO APPLY?
We encourage applicants with a solid academic record, a competitive GMAT or GRE test, research exposure, strong faculty recommendations, and the desire to pursue unparalleled business research as a management professor to apply. Please visit inse.ad/phd-application-checklist to view the minimum admissions requirements.
WHAT IS COVERED BY THE FIVE (5) YEARS FUNDING?
The funding includes a tuition fee waiver, annual living expenses and accommodation, research and conference budget support, and health insurance coverage. For more details: inse.ad/phd-stipend.
There is no separate application to qualify for the fellowship. Once admitted, PhD students will receive funding for the first five years of doctoral studies.
WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
Preparing for a PhD application takes substantial time and effort. Although we are still in the early stages of the application process, we strongly urge you to talk to us soon about your graduate study and career plans. Then, we can discuss the steps you can take to prepare for a successful and competitive INSEAD PhD application. To reach out to us, please accomplish the form inse.ad/contact-phd-2024-intake
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE MID-AUGUST 2024 INTAKE?
Applicants need to submit an online application and upload the PDFs of original supporting documents. The online application opens in September 2023. Visit inse.ad/phd/admissions for more info.