→ Apply until 07/12/2021 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
→ Department LW21 - Languages and Cultures
→ AAP temporary appointment - 20%
→ Number of openings: 1
→ Reference number: 202110/LW21/PA/007
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- You will assist in the practice-based teaching of the Bachelor programme of African Languages and Cultures and the Master-programme African Studies, in particular in the teaching trajectory of Fieldwork and Ethnography (organisation, coaching and evaluation of exercises and seminars and supervising the redaction of papers and reports). Furthermore you will assist in the supervision and evaluation of Bachelor- and Master’s theses concerning Fieldwork and Ethnography. Teaching is in Dutch and English.
- You will assist in the organisation of the African Studies programme, in particular in the communication with stakeholders and taking minutes of meetings of the programme commission and other.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You are holder of a degree of Master in African Languages and Cultures, Master in African Studies, Master in Anthropology and/or you are holder of Master’s degree with a demonstrable component in Fieldwork and Ethnography. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are involved in other professional activities and/or you have demonstrable experience that may contribute to the quality of the practice-based teaching at the department.
- You dispose of sound academic communication skills, oral as well as well written, in English and in Dutch.
- Proficiency in French will be considered an asset.
- You are interested in a teaching assignment in the field concerned.
- You are interested in services to the department.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
- Maintaining contacts with the African diaspora in Belgium and its socio-cultural field is recommended.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a 1 year appointment, which may be renewed. Attention: You cannot be appointed for a cumulative percentage of more than 30% as a Teaching Assistant at Ghent University.
- Your appointment will start on 2022/01/31.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of paid leave (per year for a full-time employment), bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv in pdf format
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en). For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Koenraad Stroeken(Koen.Stroeken@UGent.be) and/or Prof. Dr. Inge Brinkman (Inge.Brinkman@UGent.be).
Do you have a question regarding the online application process? Please read our FAQ.