Ghent University Global Campus
Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) is an integrated campus of Ghent University, Belgium, and the first European university to be part of the Incheon Global Campus (IGC) in Incheon, South Korea. Ghent University Global Campus currently offers Bachelor of Science programs in Molecular Biotechnology, Environmental Technology, and Food Technology. Ghent University is one of the top 100 universities in the world (ARWU 66th), and in the Life Sciences subjects taught at GUGC, Ghent University ranks even higher.
Please visit the Ghent University Global Campus homepage to learn more about our organization: http://www.ugent.be/globalcampus/en.
- Full-Time Research Professor (Non-tenured) – Ghent University Global Campus
- Department: Center for Biotech Data Science
- Degree: Doctoral degree in one of the following (or closely related area): bioinformatics, computer science, statistical data science, mathematics, or equivalent
- Contract: 2-year fixed contract term
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: Assistant Academic Personnel (AAP)
- Last application date: October 31, 2020 (Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate)
- Starting date: February 1, 2021 (negotiable)
- Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. Wesley De Neve, or Prof. dr. Shodhan Rao, or Prof. dr. Arnout Van Messem
The Center for Biotech Data Science (RC4) at Ghent University Global Campus pursues the development of new mathematical and computational approaches for extracting knowledge from huge sets of biotech data, paying attention to technical challenges such as (1) predictive analysis and visualization of biotech data; (2) complexity reduction and validation of data-driven models for biotechnological processes and systems; and (3) interpretability and robustness of data-driven models for biotechnological processes and systems.
The newly developed approaches have a wide variety of applications, ranging from cancer research and medical image diagnosis over drug development to plant phenotyping. Current research topics are varied and include, among others, adversariality in deep machine learning, 3-D phenotyping of rice plants, interpretability for biological sequence and biomedical image analysis, and stability and model reduction of biochemical reaction networks.
The Center for Biotech Data Science has a vacancy for a Full-time Research Professor (Non-tenured) position, starting from February 1, 2021 (open to negotiation). It concerns a 2-year fixed contract position with a possible extension based on a positive evaluation and considering the campus operational circumstances.
Job Qualification (Profile of the Candidate)
- Holds a doctoral degree in a relevant subject (bioinformatics, computer science, statistical data analysis, mathematics or equivalent).
- Has already conducted research within the fields of statistics, computer science, and/or mathematics (preferably biostatistics, bioinformatics, or mathematical biology).
- Possesses good programming skills (knowledge of Python is a plus), and a basic to good awareness of algorithms and data structures.
- Has strong data interpretation and analytical skills.
- Has educational experience; participation in extra-curriculum training, conferences, … is recommended.
- Has an independent research and strong self-learning ability; a creative and inquisitive attitude is a must.
- Has strong didactic, communicative and management skills and a large interest in providing and supporting academic education.
- Has an excellent academic track record, proven by scientific publications in high standard international journals.
- Has an excellent command of English (a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT test), and good academic writing and presentation skills.
- Being fluent in Korean and having experience with writing funding applications in the Korean language is an advantage.
- Must have experience in obtaining research funding and should be able to research related business development activities in Korea.
- Assists the Research Center in developing research project proposals and finding funding for the Research Center.
- Assists the Research Center in the co-development of a new course in Bioinformatics.
- Assists the Research Center with teaching of undergraduate and/or graduate courses (including practical exercises) for up to 30% of your total working time.
- Assists in the preparation of the above-mentioned courses, following instructions of the lecturer(s)-in-charge.
- Supervises Bachelor’s and Master’s thesis projects.
- Assists with grading, examinations, and other educational duties of the Research Center.
- Develop your own line of research in one of the above-mentioned disciplines in joint agreement with the professors of the Research Center.
- Conducts research projects in the domain.
- Links up with colleagues at Ghent University home campus in Belgium and, if relevant, be willing to spend a certain research period at the home campus (2 to 3 months per year).
- Helps in the assistance and supervision of PhD researchers in the Research Center.
- Publishes original articles and other publications on the research performed.
- Scientific background and knowledge
- Educational experiences
- Experience with funding applications
- Preference will be given to candidates with a proven track record of obtaining research funding in Korea
- Motivation letter
- Full resume (CV), including at least 2 references
- A complete list of your publications
- A research plan, including the integration of your research in that of the Center for Biotech Data Science and a strategy of applying and obtaining research funds
- A transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than Dutch, French, German, or English, please add a legalized translation in English
The documents must be merged into a single PDF file and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org [subject line: Doctoral Assistant (Research Professor, non-tenured in Center for Biotech Data Science)].
Application Process and Interview
- Interviews will take place in stages from the first available time.
- Application deadline is on October 31, 2020, and applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as the position will be filled upon finding the right candidate.
- We reserve the right to hold applications on file for potential future job openings.
- The position remains open until the vacancy is filled.
- CV screening -> Interview -> Internal committee -> Approval -> Acceptance notice to the candidate selected.
Compensation & Benefits for the Selected Candidate
- Basic Term of the Contract: 2 year-contract term
- Salary: starts from Annual Base Salary of 46,624,160 KRW (Monthly Salary of 3,885,347 KRW, Gross)
- Bonuses: Additional two bonuses in June (92% of monthly salary) and December (100% monthly salary)
- Two round-trip tickets to hometown (for non-Korean nationals only): The selected candidate with a non-Korean nationality shall have two round-trip tickets to his/her hometown per year (up to 4,000,000 KRW)
- Severance: Severance shall be paid when the contract ends and if the candidate works for more than one year.
- Private health insurance: Marsh private health insurance provided, including basic medical reimbursements
- Extensive annual paid leave and holidays:
- The selected candidate shall have 35 days paid annual leave per year.
- Additional two-week holiday for “Winter Recess”. Commonly the weeks of Christmas and New Year’s.