Last application date: May 01, 2019 10:50
Department: TW08 - Department of Electrical Energy, Metals, Mechanical Constructions and Systems
Contract: Limited duration
Degree: PhD in Mechanical or Physics Engineering in the field of Tribology.
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Research staff
Context – Soete laboratory is a subdivision of the Department of EEMMECS under the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture of Ghent University. The lab consist of more than 30 Ph.D. researchers active in fundamental and applied research in the fields of tribology and fracture mechanics. The research unit Tribology at Soete Laboratory consists of closely collaborating and complementary experimental and computational research teams.
The team on experimental tribology focusses on the tribological response (friction, friction stability and wear) of advanced materials such as fibre reinforced composites, high temperature ceramics and various self-lubricating materials in dry or marginally lubricated conditions. Apart from fundamental research, the group is been active in industrial projects on tribology and machine design. In addition to the standard laboratory scale tribological test equipment, the laboratory is equipped with various unique and dedicated large-scale experimental tribological set-ups for dry and lubricated contact conditions.
The team on computational tribology is mainly focused to multi-scale and multi-physics modelling and simulation of fluid-and particle-related tribological issues. This involves both lubrication and lubricant modelling (e.g. TEHL) and erosion-abrasion modelling. Multiple simulation techniques are applied and coupled, such as CFD, FEM, Discrete-Element Methods, Molecular Dynamics, and Optimization tools. To enable the most demanding multi-scale and multi-physics simulations, we rely on the High-Performance Computing infrastructure.
Your job – Due to rapid increase of activities in the Tribology group, we are looking for a full-time post-doctoral fellow to support and supervise the experimental activities in both academic research and industrial valorisation projects. The academic responsibilities include performing research, autonomous guidance and supervision of MSc. and Ph.D. students, efficient project management, obtaining new research funds by submitting scientific projects and assist in the educational tasks. The industrial responsibilities include executing autonomously industrial research projects, technical and financial project management, supervising PhD students, negotiating with industrial companies etc..
1. The Post-doc position starts as soon as possible.
2. We offer an 100% contract for a period of 36 months (3 years). After a probation period of 12 months, a fixed-term contract will be offered on condition of positive evaluation.
3. The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for scientific personnel.
1. You hold a Ph.D. degree in Mechanical or Physics Engineering.
2. You have a strong motivation for conducting scientific research at a high level.
3. You possess good analytical, and technical skills
4. You have affinity with Experimental Techniques, Data Statistics, etc...
5. You have affinity with project writing
6. Experience with programming and data-processing in Python, Matlab or equivalent is an advantage.
7. You are a responsible, loyal researcher able to perform research in a well-structured, thorough way, and you’re able to solve problems independently. You display creativity in solving problems, generating new research ideas.
8. You have an open personality and willing to contribute to the Tribology team.
9. You have excellent communication skills in English, both orally and written.
|Title||Post-doctoral researcher in Experimental Tribology|
|Job location||Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 33, 9000 Gent|
|Published||February 28, 2019|
|Application deadline||May 1, 2019|
|Job type||Postdoc  |
|Fields||Statistics,   Experimental Physics,   Programming Languages,   Engineering Physics,   Computational Physics,   Mechanical Engineering  |