The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) operates one of the most powerful supercomputing infrastructures in Europe and makes it available to researchers at Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ), in Germany, and throughout Europe. The division High-Performance-Computer Systems (HPS) at JSC is responsible for the integration and operation of different supercomputing and high-performance storage resources in the facility.
We are looking to recruit a
IT Systems Engineer for HPC
JSC operates the modular supercomputer JUWELS, one of the largest supercomputer in Europe which will be further extended in the near future. You are joining the JUWELS administrative team and will contribute in the following areas:
- Development of tools and algorithms for optimized operations of the national supercomputer JUWELS
- Integration of the upcoming system extension planned for 2020
- Benchmarking, performance assessments and system tuning
- Development and operation of tools for system monitoring
- Problem analysis and resolution including third-level user support
- Evaluation of novel supercomputer architectures and cooperation with hardware and software vendors
Depending on qualification and experience a team leadership role can be offered.
- Master degree from a university with internationally accepted quality standards in informatics, mathematics, or a related subject
- Strong knowledge of Linux in the areas of installation and administration and ideally system programming and -optimization
- Strong knowledge in relevant script languages, in particular Bash and Python, as well as, ideally, knowledge in further relevant system programming languages (C, Go, etc.)
- Knowledge in C/C++ and ideally further programming languages used in HPC (Fortran)
- Experience with the programming and usage of supercomputers, in particular basic knowledge of MPI and OpenMP
- Ideally knowledge in further relevant areas: GPU computing, Batch- and workload management systems, parallel file systems like GPFS or Lustre, data centre network technologies and high-speed interconnects like InfiniBand and Omni-Path Architecture, container and virtualization technologies
- Willingness to contribute with talks to international conferences and participate in courses and tutorials
- Good command of English and preferably good knowledge of German
- Structured and systematic working style as well as ability for cooperative work in teams
- Challenging and varied work in a team of enthusiastic professionals
- Exciting working environment on an attractive research campus with excellent infrastructure, located between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- International and interdisciplinary working atmosphere
- A comprehensive further training programme
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- Limited for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD)
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our online recruitment system on our career site until 15.03.2019, quoting the above-mentioned reference number.
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference number 2019-054: email@example.com
Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.