You will build the next generation of Industrial IoT technology and guide the leading Flemish manufacturing companies towards Industry 4.0 innovations.
As an Industrial IoT Software Research Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate in a research team with expertise in software development, modelling & simulation, algorithms, concept designs, system architectures, cloud & edge computing, big data architectures and digital twins;
- Work on intelligent network systems to interconnect systems (machines, robots, AGVs and drivers-operators);
- Use software to connect edge, cloud and industrial or experimental installations;
- Ensure the connection of structured or unstructured data flows from subsystems to a planning system.
More specifically, you will:
- Create software prototypes that demonstrate the feasibility and value of smart autonomous or self-learning functions for industrial applications. For this, you will efficiently merge multiple state-of-the-art Industrial IoT technologies (edge and cloud (PaaS/SaaS/IaaS) databases, ETL solutions, container technology, data analytics, protocols such as MQTT, OPC/UA, etc.).
- Study new methods of connecting robots, mobots or production systems to AI algorithms (within a cloud or edge environment);
- Enable in assembly cell-projects also the connection between IT platforms MES (Manufacturing Execution System) / ERP / MOM / LIMS / PLM, etc.
- You might invent, develop, program and realize innovative extensions to IT platforms and the associated software architectures;
- Incorporate your developments in practical applications and test the software on a functional demonstrator – prototype assembly cell;
- Trace and present industrial challenges and new research opportunities within the scope of the Industrial IoT for production environments.
- An analytical conceptual thinker who is keen to explore new software capabilities;
- A technology-driven software developer who likes to co-shape automation projects from concept to realisation;
- Passionate about state-of-the-art technologies that are used within the Industrial Internet of Things.
- A Master's degree in computer or engineering sciences (computer science, mechatronics...);
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in an industrial or academic context (e.g. PhD);
- Knowledge of programming languages such as C#, Python, Java, Go, .Net, etc.
- Preferably, knowledge of databases and cloud solutions and/or solutions based on MS Azure.
- A large dose of eagerness to learn:
- Future-proof software architectures;
- Software development environments (e.g. Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse JDT, PyCharm);
- Industrial planning software (for example: Wonderware MES, GE Plant Apps, Brighteye, Siemens SimaticIT...);
- Industrial automation, instrumentation, real-time deterministic controls, SCADA.
- A challenging job in which you can work with experts in various domains and can use state-of-the-art infrastructure for autonomous systems, machine and vehicle dynamics, model-predictive control, data analytics and the development of software prototypes;
- An open corporate culture with short communication lines;
- Research within a multi-stakeholder context;
- An enthusiastic, international team.