Concawe is looking for a Science Associate to support the Health Management Group (HMG) activities and is looking for a highly organized individual with a good understanding of health issues relevant to the European petroleum refining industry and an in-depth knowledge in one or more specific subject areas of exposure or risk assessments, industrial hygiene, epidemiology, toxicology. Formal accreditation in one of these areas is desirable. An understanding of the characteristics of petroleum products, their manufacture and distribution, and the regulatory requirements governing their marketing and use are also important (REACH, directives on chemicals and carcinogens at work, air quality directives).
Who are we?
- Concawe is the science division of an international non-profit association (The European Petroleum Refiners Association aisbl) whose mission is to provide research and technical support to the EU downstream oil refining industry in the study of environmental, health, safety and testing issues relating to the refining of crude oil and the distribution and use of petroleum products, with the aim of improving the understanding of these issues by the industry, authorities, users and other interested parties.
- The Association represents the interests of 41 Companies operating petroleum refineries in the EU. Members account for almost 100% of EU petroleum refining capacity and more than 75% of EU motor fuel retail sales.
What do we offer?
- Open-ended contract
- Attractive salary and fringe benefits
- International and dynamic multicultural environment
What do we expect from you?
The Science Associate will require strong interpersonal abilities in order to work with the specialists working for Concawe in the health issues field, and increasingly in multi-disciplinary activities involving other Concawe staff. He/she must have competence in the use of a personal computer and associated business and scientific software, be able to write clearly and concisely on technical subjects for both technical and non-technical audiences. Fluency in English is a pre-requisite and other European languages would be an advantage. The incumbent must also possess high quality presentational skills in order to convey potentially complex issues in meetings involving many participants.
What would be your activities?
- Support the development and implementation of the annual technical research plan as agreed with the Health Management Groups (HMG) and the Science Director.
- The scope of the work will be mainly focused on designing and conducting studies aimed at completing or updating the REACH registration dossier of Petroleum substances. These studies may directly result from decision issued by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) or be aimed at improving the hazard and risk assessment of petroleum substances or at investigating any specific hazard or risk associated with petroleum substances.
- Although the scope of the technical work is mainly REACH related, there are also activities related to other aspects such as, e.g. air quality and health.
- Together with the Science Executive Health, develop the scope, review proposals and manage projects (including cost control) related to the specific research areas.
- Support the Science Executive and chair of the Concawe Health Management in the execution of their responsibilities.
- Comply with the governance rules of the Association and ensure that the STFs are aware of these rules.
Specific research programmes and responsibilities:
- Coordinate the STF-29 group (industrial hygiene) defining the research programme and conducting / leading the agreed projects, in collaboration with the Member Companies’ experts and the Science Executive.
- Liaise with external consultants in the development of the research programmes.
- Report progress and inform the Health Management Group, Science Committee as appropriate on his/her activities.
- Assist in the writing and editing of Concawe technical reports, briefing papers, articles etc., on topics related to the field of activity.
- Assist in the regulatory compliance preparations based on scientific findings from research
- Update the Chemical Safety Report in the registration dossier of petroleum substances
- Follow-up on health research projects and report on the progress of findings.
- Assist in organizing the work plan with specialised member company representatives and dedicated contractors. The candidate may additionally be required to carry out tasks to support HMG Secretariat, such as:
- Conduct surveys, set up a functional database, analyse results, apply statistical methods;
- Record information in a clear and traceable manner, using different media;
- Assist in preparing Concawe Reports and publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Request quotations;
- Attend and record the HMG meetings
What is your professional profile?
Education & Experience:
- Academic degree (MSc, PhD - level) in biological sciences, industrial hygiene, toxicology, biochemistry, environmental science/engineering, an advantage or equivalent experience due to at least five years working in the Industry.
- Familiarity with petroleum substances identification would be considered as an advantage
- Familiarity with regulatory science would be considered as an advantage
Skills & Competencies
- Highly organised individual
- Proficiency in English (oral and written) is essential; other EU languages are an asset
- Interest and understanding of environment-related topics/research on:
- Industrial hygiene – exposure sciences
- Excellent Excel skills
- ECHA substance registration process and associated IT tools (IUCLID, CHESAR)
- Excellent transcription skills
- Good communication skills
- EU citizen or permit to work in EU required
- Ability to work in autonomous way
- Ability to adapt in multicultural environments
- Team-working spirit
Organisational Fit: Reports to the Science Executive for Health
The position has the characteristics of a post-graduate assignment where the candidate can become familiar with the regulatory environmental challenges that the refining sector is facing today and work on the solutions to resolve these. The position is based in Brussels (Belgium) To apply, please send your CV, your bibliography and motivation letter to: email@example.com mentioning “CONCAWE Science Associate Health” in the subject of your e-mail. By applying for this vacancy, you agree that we use your personal data for recruitment purposes only.
All your private information will be deleted from our files after the recruitment process.