Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
Job Type: Full time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Expiry Date: Open until filled
The American University of Kurdistan (AUK) invites applicants for the position of Dean in the College of Arts and Science (COAS). AUK is a newly established private, not-for-profit institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading university in the autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the Provost.
AUK invites applications for this faculty position starting the beginning of Spring Semester 2020 in January.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated and suitably qualified academic/practitioner with expertise in the field of Arts and Science. The successful applicant will join a vibrant team and help shape the development of our educational and professional course provision in this exciting area. The following are the main responsibilities:
- Responsible for delivering in a student receptive manner the knowledge, skills, and experiences each student needs to successfully achieve course learning outcomes as outlined in course syllabi.
- Create, post, and articulate objectives and program/course learning outcomes in order to fulfill students and stakeholders expectations.
- Create or oversee the creation of curricula and course syllabi, course handouts, lectures, labs, presentations, and other course materials required to deliver the knowledge, soft and hard skills as per the objectives and program/course learning outcomes.
- Promote the visibility, breadth and impact of COAS on the community, in collaboration with AUK academic leaders and faculty.
- Enhance the research capacity at COAS by leading research initiatives and cultivating research opportunities.
- Teach minimum 2 maximum 3 courses per each semester (Fall, Spring, Summer).
- Create course rubrics in order to assess each student’s performance related to the course’s learning objective and to identify areas for student improvement.
- Assist students to master course material by being available through “office hours” and at other times to answer questions and assist students to better understand the material in one-on-one or small group sessions. Also oversee the implementation of this regulation throughout the college.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with regulations and submit grades and records by established deadline.
- Serve on university committees to enhance department and university policies and processes which enhance student academic and career success.
- Attend all required university events such as commencement, faculty meetings, etc.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the community, professionals, foundations and companies that support institutional growth.
- Keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, conducting substantial researches and participating in professional conferences.
- Collaborate with the faculty on a number of interdisciplinary research projects, secure research funding and teach undergraduate (and later graduate) courses.
- Participate in the effort to promote quality assurance and institutional effectiveness at AUK.
- Perform other appropriate and reasonable required duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Holds a Ph.D. degree from a reputable university primarily in environmental science or chemistry.
- Native or native level fluency in English.
- Excellent skills, based on significant experience in teaching and a thorough understanding of the structures and values of an academic environment
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to high-quality research.
- Instill a collaborative community and common academic vision among the faculty, staff and students within the college and University
- A goal-driven approach to enhance the recognition of the college regionally and internationally.
- Experience in academic leadership in a growing environment, quality assurance and accreditation processes.
- Experience in a multicultural, diverse and inclusive setting of students and staff.
The Recruitment Committee at AUK will review applications on a rolling basis and will shortlist qualified candidates.
- A cover letter
- A Resume
- A statement regarding teaching and academic leadership philosophy
- Copies of academic degrees
- Contact information for three references
References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Applications and nominations should be sent electronically with the subject “Dean at the College of Arts and Science” to AUK’s Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).