AUK Faculty Job Description
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering
Company: The American University of Kurdistan (AUK)
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region
Job Type: 1 Full Time Faculty
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Posting Date: October 10th 2018
Expiry Date: Open until filled
AUK invites applicants for a full time faculty position in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering in the College of Engineering. AUK is a newly established public, not-for-profit, special status institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading academic institution in the autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the Chair of Department of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering.
AUK invites applications for this tenure-track faculty position starting the beginning of Spring 2018 in January.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated and suitably qualified academic/practitioner with expertise in the field of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering. The successful applicant will join a vibrant team and help shape the development of our educational and professional course provision in this exciting area. The following are the main responsibilities:
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide. The basic instructional assignment is 18-24 credit hours per academic year, unless provided a waiver for administrative or research duties or by approval of the Provost. An additional three (3) credit hours of teaching per semester may be assigned subject to the approval of the faculty member and the Provost. The Faculty Member engaged in extra teaching loads shall be compensated based on the prior approval of his/her immediate supervisor and per the financial policies, rules, and amendments of the University.
- Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, labs, and presentations.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve students learning.
- The Faculty shall implement the AUK provisions and regulations on Quality Assurance (QA) and Institutional Academic Effectiveness (IAE) for enhancing student's learning outcomes.
- Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in clinical, internship, observation, field experience, and similar settings as appropriate for the course or program.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times. A faculty member should inform the supervisor if he or she is unable to meet a class on time.
- Keep a flexible weekly schedule that best facilitates student learning and access. Any changes in the scheduled class times or locations should have prior approval by the faculty's supervisor. Help students achieve their educational goals through formal and/or informal advising.
- Post and keep on campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, faculty senate, or as a student organization advisor.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline.
- Mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally.
- Serve as a liaison for Early College Experience faculty.
- Attend commencement or other ceremonies appropriate to the faculty member's discipline or program.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings.
- Perform other academically related duties as assigned by the instructor's supervisor.
- Participate in faculty business meetings and forums.
- Participate in faculty evaluation process.
- The Faculty shall endeavor to take part in research activities. In particular, those who carry a teaching load that is less than 24 credit hours, and do not have administrative duties are required to deliver one research paper for each 6 credit hours that s/he doesn’t teach because of other valid circumstances. The research output is to be published in international journals. Remain current in academic or program discipline with active research.
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Participate in college professional development activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD Degree in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering from a reputable university.
- At least 2 – 5 years’ experience in an academic, practitioner and / or consultant linked to communication companies.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in one or more of the following areas: Electrical Circuits, Electronic Circuits, Digital Technologies, Digital Communications, Signal Processing, Communication Networks.
- Proficiency in Mobile and Communications software.
- Demonstrate record or potential for research and publication in scholarly journals within the discipline
- Strong communication skills required to transfer the knowledge to the student body.
- The Recruitment Committee will review applications on a rolling basis and will continue accepting applications until an appointment is made. To assure full consideration, applications should be received as soon as possible and include:
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Three reference letters
- A portfolio of personal, professional or student work (20 images maximum) as a PDF file to the attention of the Dean Dr. Razaq Ferhadi at firstname.lastname@example.org
- References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Applications and nominations should be sent electronically with the subject “Assistant Professor of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering” to Human Resources (email@example.com).